Hello and welcome!
I have a unique combination of GIS technical skills and web development experience from working in each perspective field. I currently work with a variety of proprietary software and ESRI products in the Precision Agronomy Farming industry.
I have a Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Communication Systems from Bournemouth University in the U.K. After traveling and moving to Canada in 2011 I fell in love with the Canadian landscape. That coupled with my concern for the current global environmental situation I wanted to help contribute to preserving and protecting our environment through the use of technology. So I decided to undertake a Bachelor of Applied Technology in Geographic Information Systems at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Calgary, Alberta. I believe that my vision of ‘a symbiotic relationship between humans and our environment through the application of technology’ incorporates my choice of career in GIS and passion for technology.
I am passionate about GIS, with a desire to continue to develop my skill set and broaden my exposure to different industries, with the ultimate goal of improving the environment and raising awareness of environmentally sustainable solutions. Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theories on presenting spatial information;
- Map Elements
- Cartographic design methodology;
- Cartographic techniques such as:
- Proportional and graduated symbols
- Pie-chart maps
- Choropleth maps
- Dot density maps
- Isarithmic maps
- Bivariate maps
- Map animations
Map and Air Photo Interpretation– Reading and interpreting maps, stereoscopes and aerial photography.
- Python – Used throughout ArcGIS for Desktop, Utilized and developed skills using python to automate Geoprocessing and data manipulation. See example code here
Other programming skills
- XHTML – Experienced in web development
- CSS – Experienced in web development
- PHP – Basic knowledge and troubleshooting
- HTML 5 -Experienced in web development
- App Development in Django utilizing Python libraries and framework
- ArcGIS for Desktop – Proficient
- Used in several courses at the GIS degree course. Skills gained include; adding cartographic elements to map layouts, querying and selecting attributes in a table, and using the Editor to add and remove features
- I am familiar with the Spatial Analyst extension, Editor Toolbar including Validation, ModelBuilder, and many of the tools within ArcToolbox (Geoprocessing, Versioning, and Spatial Analyst tools). I am also familiar with the query builder for labels, layer files, and attributing editing.
- ArcScene– Used in the Advanced Geographic Information Systems course. A work sample can be found. For the assignment, layers were added in ArcScene so a 3D image could be produced.
- ArcSDE– Used in the Serving Maps on the Internet course. A tutorial was completed giving me a general knowledge of the software’s functionality.
- ArcCatalog– Used in several courses at the Centre of Geographic Sciences. Skills gained include; creating and managing personal and file geodatabases, creating toolboxes, adding tables in Oracle to tables and databases in ArcCatalog, creating and running models, creating networks, and writing python scripts.
- QGIS – Basic knowledge (working on geoprocessing and developing better knowledge) through Farmers Edge Co-Op
- ArcGIS Enterprise – Working knowledge through GIS degree course
- FME – Working knowledge through GIS degree course
- ENVI – Working knowledge through GIS degree course
- Ag Leader SMS (Spatial Management System) – Good understanding through Farmers Edge Co-op
- Farmworks – Good understanding
- InfoSWIMM which is a hydrologic/hydraulic modelling software extension for ArcGIS for Desktop
- ArcHydro – Basic Knowledge
- Hazus – Flood Modelling Extension for ArcGIS for Desktop
Other Non-GIS Software
- MS Access – Somewhat proficient
- MS Office – Proficient
- FTP programs – Proficient
- Text editing programs – Proficient
- Wing (Wing is a Python Intelligent Development Environment) – Proficient
- Adobe Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Acrobat Pro. – Proficient
Database Skills and Knowledge
- Database design and creation using MS Access
- Database design principles
- Database normalization
- Creation and maintenance of relational databases
- Data analysis techniques
- Descriptive Statistics
- Using SQL
- Integration of relational databases with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- My SQL in web development
Remote Sensing knowledge and skills
GPS– GPS systems were used and studied in both the Introduction to Geomatics and Fundamentals of Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing courses. Topics covered include; PDOP, collecting points, lines, and polygons, post processing, and base stations.